Wednesday, March 22, 2006


So dirty!

I came home from work to find my girls rolling around in the dirt in the backyard. I guess for most people this is normal. But I don't think they ever have had dirt on their hands, under their fingernails, and on their clothes before. Since their mama doesn't like bugs, the last place I would put them is on the grass outside. Isn't that where all the bugs live? Alex was busy poking the dirt with a stick. I whispered to Kaili, did she see a W O R M yet? And Kaili said, no, but she's been looking for one. Oh man.... please don't find one and bring it to me one day. I'll probably freak out and be traumatized. I still avoid James' orange fishing box to this day because I remember seeing some worms that he left out after he returned home from fishing one day on top of the orange fishing box.

The girls looked like they were having tons of fun though. Dirty hands and all. But interestingly enough, when they saw me, they asked to have their hands washed up. Kaili laughed and said they are different kids around James and me. Around Kaili they express interest in the spiders they see but when I'm around, they act scared that they see these spiders. I don't know if I will ever be able to act normal around bugs. But thanks to Kaili, they enjoy sitting in the dirt, getting their hands dirty and exploring nature.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kaili I'm so glad the girls are out getting dirty.As soon as it warms up a touch show them how to make mud pies, complete with flowers on top,and stick candles. I love when children are outside using their imagination! That includes looking for worms! You make me so proud Kaili, you were meant to be their Spider&Bug loving Nanny!

Kaili said...

Hahaha! I KNEW my Mom would comment on this one! Hahah! Remember when she bought them the bug kit? We should get it out! Haha! :) She always tells me, you can't let them be "wussy girls" haha!
I love how it was their idea today to start exploring the dirt, then Alex got on right in there and sat down, it was very cute. At one point she would make her fingy's all dirty then hold them up to Rachel telling her she was the "mud monster" and making that funny face. I loved seeing them play like that. It's too bad you guys put all there "outside" toys in storage, I have been thinking about how much fun they would have with the little picnic table, play house and sand box that they have. Maybe they are at the front of storage and you could come and pick them up. :)
Happy getting dirty!!

Joyce said...

ew. dirt and bugs. i swear to god, even bosco avoids puddles and muddy patches. he'll walk around or jump over them! i'll send my children to penticton once a year for kaili to teach them about dirt and bugs.

Susie said...

I use to love playing in the dirt and would make little dirt villages for all the little people. And once I got bored of that I would make a mud pie for my mom. I was always covered in dirt when I was little. What can I say, I grew up with two brothers.