
Pick Up Trucks....not that there is anything wrong with them
So one big difference I noticed right away living out west is that people really love their pick up trucks. Big trucks, small trucks, fancy trucks, plain old pick up trucks. I've grown up in the city all my life and don't like pick up trucks at all...not that there is anything wrong with them. I've had lunches with my friends where they dream that if they won the lottery, they would buy this or that type of pick up truck. And I remember thinking that they were joking. Anyhow I just don't get them. That is until yesterday afternoon.
We got such a big, quick dumping of snow in a matter of a couple of hours yesterday afternoon. I had just picked up the girls from preschool and was driving home when I got stuck half way up the hill on the really steep part of the road. I couldn't drive forward anymore and I couldn't see behind me in the white mess to reverse. And if I put the car into drive, I would slide backwards. So I was pretty scared. I had no idea what I was going to do and was pretty panicky. The girls at one point, asked if I was lost. So funny, kids perceptions of things. I was stuck there for about 15 minutes and the girls fell asleep in their carseats. All these pick up trucks kept passing by me with no problem at all!!!! That's the first time ever that I wished I owned a pick up truck. Anyhow I finally managed to inch backwards until the road was a little less steep and turn the car around. Then I just sat on one of the sidestreets wondering what in the world I was going to do. Then I saw a plowtruck going up the hill so I got up the nerve and decided that I too was going to attempt the hill once again. And I kept on visualizing how nice and safe it would feel to park in our garage and walk into our house. So with that positive thought and with constant prayers, I went up the hill never giving up on the gas because if I lost my momentum I would be stuck once again. So we made it up the hill and got home safe and sound.
So now guess what mama wants for Christmas? Studded Tires!
3 comments:
Audrey, I'm not a big fan of pick up trucks either. I have a name for them and those who drive them(of which I can't mention here), as I find the majority are pretty bad drivers - especially in AB where it's the law to have a pick up truck. I find they're smelly (diesel), uncomfortable, but extremely useful when moving or hauling stuff (that's about the only time I like them). I think you'll be fine with winter tires, or 4WD to get up those steep hills. Sometimes it's a good idea to carry sandbags in the back of the car for extra weight, or kitty litter to spread under the tires while on ice to get traction(cheapest but effective method). Take care of yourself and those girls! Winter driving can be treacherous.
Shannon
My dearest city-in-her-blood Sister!
I can't believe that you got back your nerve to attempt the hill a second time; it must have been the protective Motherness that kicked in to make sure you got your "cubs" home safe!
So, does Penticton sell fancy tire studs? Do they come in different colors?
xoxoxoxo
this mama wants an austin mini cooper for christmas...
no steep hills in ottawa!
Post a Comment