Sunday, August 29, 2010

We woke up early this morning to watch the start of the Ironman race. There were over 2700 athletes competing today. They have to swim 3.8 km, then bike 280 km and then after that run 42.2 km (a full marathon!). CRAZY! When I run 5km for a workout I am exhausted. Then again I'm wimpy. I can't believe what these people put their bodies through. They have to finish by midnight tonight. Which is unbelievable considering they started at 7am. A whole day of pushing your body past their limits.
Waiting for the swim portion of the race to begin. The girls were more excited about throwing pebbles into the lake. A man gave the girls these free hats. We were happy. Doesn't take much to make us happy.


I love watching the swimmers. So much action. Not that I would ever be able to do the Ironman but if I was competing I think I would hang back a while and then enter the water when there isn't hundreds of people surrounding you and kicking/elbowing you.
The bikes all lined up waiting for the athletes to finish the swim and start the next portion of the race. I loved seeing all the water bottles and stuff on the bikes. The 'stuff' that the athletes placed on their bikes to help them get through the day.
We know a few local people in the race this year. So we picked a great spot to watch the swim/bike transition to cheer on our friends.
After about 2 hours standing outside we were starving and headed for breakfast. While we ate we watched more and more people biking past the restaurant. Papa and I were happy we weren't one of them as we sipped our warm coffees.

6 comments:

Joyce said...

you run 5km??? that's 4.75km more than i could run!

Unknown said...

I know, isn't it crazy those Ironman races?? I would've joined you for that hot coffee and watching the race from inside too. haha! Looks like a fun day. I'd be happy too if I got a free hat. hehe! Doesn't take much for me to be happy either. ;p

Audrey said...

Pon, I've been running for the past 3 months now. I pretty much hate it every single time....that is until it is done. haha
The worst part is that I don't notice much difference in my body! Only my cardio has improved. Perhaps it's because I still eat a lot of junk and I only run 2 to 3 times a week. But I figured I never did anything before then so I should totally see a difference but I don't. Depressing.

Kaili said...

All I have to say is....Rachel lost her tooth!!! :)

Sonia said...

So cool!! You have a lot of exciting things happening where you live!

As for the running. I think you should continue and with more time, I'm sure you'll see some results. Keep it up Audrey!

Shannon said...

I still remember sitting on a park bench along Main Street, right outside our place in P-Town, encouraging the runners and a guy from Seattle (who was running and exhausted), told me to move over so he could sit! We chatted for a bit and he was so funny! Then he went back into the race to finish his marathon.

It is a pretty fun day. Great job girls on running the race and getting medals!

And, I agree Joyce, still stymies me that Audrey runs as I used to have to beat her a$$ up that hill we use to walk up. Although she SAYS she runs, but I have yet to witness that magnificent feat. Maybe Dr Evil can video that so we can all watch while drinking our double doubles.