Thursday, May 28, 2009

Itchy

We went on a school field trip today.   The class had an aquarium all year long where they watched salmon hatch from eggs and grow.  So today was the day that they were released into the lake.  That part was pretty cool.  Then we went for a nature walk.  I always knew that I was not an outdoorsy person.  Now I KNOW that I'm not an outdoorsy person.
There are no pictures during our walk because I was too busy pushing a stroller in a very narrow pathway that is not meant to have people walking on let alone a stroller!  Our nature guide pointed out the trees with scratches marked by bears in the neighborhood.  Also very cool but scary seeing what they are capable of.  We passed coyote dens (he said that sometimes they are lucky to see the coyote cubs playing - again too close for comfort!), poison ivy, thorny bushes, etc....not to mention that we had to look out for snakes (mostly grass snakes but still)!  All the while I'm swatting away mosquitoes from me and Sophia.  I got two mosquito bites right away that swelled up like they always do.  Add to that the fact that it was warm and I was really sweaty and you get the idea of how happy I was.As soon as we got back home I got us all undressed and threw everything into the wash and checked Rachel's hair for any ticks.  And then had her look through my hair.   Can't be too careful since we live in tick country.  2 girls from the class already had tick scares in the past.

It was only me that wasn't enjoying this field trip.  This little boy was standing in front of me with his mom while the guide was explaining how many types of owls there were.  There was   a heaping mound of horse poo in front of us.  He went to touch it.  His mother didn't say anything.  Then he decided to lie down beside the poo and stretch out.  His pants were clearly touching the poo.  The poo was dried out from the sun but still.  That is so wrong.  Is it just me? I am soooooooo a city girl.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

lmao! hahahaha! I'm still laughing.. Oh my gosh I had fun reading this. wait, still laughing....

the part about the kid and the poo..classic! i would have cleared out by then. why didn't you just put sophia in a baby backpack? Man, I felt your pain and sweatiness! : )

Well, hopefully your girls had fun!

Audrey said...

Chantal....I'm still itchy!

Sonia said...

Bwahahaha I can picture you on the field trip. You're not the only one..I am not an outdoor person either. I would have been right there hating it with you.

Joyce said...

i totally agree...

the best "outdoorsy" thing to do, is sit on a terrace in the city and sip a coffee, while watching stylish people walk by, isn't it?!?

Shannon said...

Oh, my little Princess Audrey! You ARE a city girl! ha ha

Shannon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.