Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sophia's Baptism and 1st Birthday Party


The whole family had so much fun yesterday.  We got Sophia baptized and celebrated her 1st birthday.  It was really special to have my parents here for the occasion.  In fact, I don't know if it would have been the same without them there.  My sister, Susan, is the godmother but lives so far away so my mom stood in as her proxy.  And then, Silvano, was the godfather as in keeping with tradition with Alex and Rachel.  Sophia loved the attention that she got yesterday.  She didn't cry at all during the whole ceremony, even when water was poured on her head.  She really enjoyed the whole entire day.
Sophia waving at the church wearing her beautiful cross necklace that her godmother Susan got her.
Family picture at the church.
A picture of Alex and Rachel once we got home from the church.
We had a party at our house afterwards to celebrate.  I asked the Sand Lady to come over to the house to entertain the kids.  The kids pick a picture, then peel off each section to reveal the sticker part and then pour colored sand on top.  Then proceed with the next section.
Pictures that the girls picked.

Sophia in dress no. 2.  I just have to update that this beautiful dress was sent by Shannon.  She sent all 3 girls these matching dresses in different pastel colors.  I have yet to take a picture of all 3 in the dresses at the same time.  Drives me nuts that the older girls won't let me pick out their clothes anymore.  Shannon, I'm working on the pic with all 3 in their dresses I promise!
Sophia in her traditional Korean dress for the cake.
We presented her with a tray full of different items to see what she was drawn to (it's a Korean tradition).  And guess what she went for.  The rice!  James told everyone that means that she will be very fertile when she grows up.  I don't know if he was just making that up or if it's true but I think we didn't follow the tradition to a tee.  I mean, come on, a Scooby Doo book?! 



Cake time!  Thank you Carleen for such a beautiful bib for Sophia.  It is so so special.
Then an impromptu photo session.  Papa was clicking away all night.  Love the family shot. I realized at the twins' bday party that we didn't take enough pics with my parents so I really tried to take lots of pics with the grandparents this time.
Love the polka dots and the belly!

So that was the night in a nutshell.  4 outfit changes for Princess Sophia and surrounded by lots of love from her family and friends.  Happy 1st Birthday Sophia!

7 comments:

Joyce said...

LOVED those pictures! I totally wish we lived closer, so we could have been there! The family pictures turned out so nicely...all of you look beautiful, tanned, and happy.

Now send Halmoni and Hadabogi home!!!

Susan said...

You don`t know how much I wish I could`ve been there... so sad that we live so far apart... Thank goodness you have this blog to let us in on the Ahn-Jung clan!
Happy Baptism;May God continue to Bless you!
Happy 1st Year Sophia!
xoxoxoxoxo

Kaili said...

We had SO much fun! Thank you for having us! Who is that chubby lady in the end picture? Geesh!! Could you e-mail me the pictures of us again? Thanks!
Jaia had a great time too and Robin was really sad that he missed it! Also you need to upload a picture of her cake, it was so girlie and pretty!

Shannon said...

Happy Birthday Sophia!! You look so beautiful in all your pretty outfits! I am glad to see the outfit Malcolm sent his future wife fits so nicely. The Korean outfit is awesome! Looks like such a fun day, and how nice to be Baptized on your birthday!

I can't wait for all the gorgeous grandchildren I will get one day from my fertile daughter-in-law. I like that tradition!! ha ha

Joyce said...

That cake is incredible!

And that's the first time I've ever seen a priest with a goatee before.

Unknown said...

Wow, Happy 1st Birthday Sophia! Already. Loved the family shot on the bottom. What a view! Looked like you had a beautiful day!

Sonia said...

What a happy birthday girl! All the girls looked so pretty in their fancy dresses.

Sophia's party looked like fun! A sand lady?!? You have the neatest events planned for b-day parties! Wish we could be there to celebrate with you all.

I agree Sophia's cake was fabulous!! Perfect for a Princess!