
Like most of the holidays we are spending our day indoors at home. This cold has been going through each member of our family for 3 weeks. Holy Moly Long. I love staying at home. I'm a total home body but even I am getting cabin fever!

The girls are homebodies too. Papa keeps asking them if they want to go sledding in our backyard but they insist on staying indoors...and painting.


Sophia is finally getting a little bit of an appetite. Just a tiny bit. We want her to eat more but she just doesn't eat with gusto. The pediatrician says that she is growing and not to be too concerned. It's just that she is in the 10th percentile. I know that I'm short but Alex and Rachel were always in the 90th percentile. I know it is bad to compare.
I'm still thinking about something that happened yesterday. The whole family went to Earl's for lunch (seriously one of the only times we have left the house except for Christmas dinner at Silvano's place). While I was at Earl's I went to the washroom and was nursing Sophia in one of the empty stalls. We were the only ones in the washroom. 2 women entered and went into separate stalls. One of them noted that there was pee all over the seat. The other woman responds by saying, "It was probably someone Oriental...they do things like that". I was shocked. I waited until the woman who said that rude, racist comment flushed and was at the counter washing her hands to step out and confront her. I was just going to say something along the lines of, "Wow, what a hurtful and racist comment that was". But when I saw who it was I was speechless. It was my butcher's wife and daughter. I go to this meat shop ALL THE TIME. EVERY WEEK! It's a family run butcher and the father and his daughter are there all the time. The daughter felt so badly and was trying to make small talk with me about how cute Sophia was...how much she has grown, etc... I just washed my hands and left. I'm sad that people still stereotype like that. I'm also sad that I don't have a good butcher to go to anymore. I refuse to give our hard earned money over to people who would think like that. Is that wrong?
Anyhow, I want to start the new year off with a positive outlook. I could think of all the usual New Year's resolutions...like losing weight, etc... But I think I will keep it simple by 1) taking care of myself (mama's usually don't and then don't have too much energy to give back to their family) 2) be present - not just rush through the motions but really BE THERE for my kids when I play with them 3) Kiss Papa more. Aim at least for 1/10th of the times that I do for the girls. What are some of the things that you are wishing to do in the new year?
Happy New Year Everyone!
7 comments:
Hey, Audrey,
Life is always SoSo,
we live in one small circle,
always think positive,
look ahead the way is there.
I live like that for 70 years.
I love you, and your family.
Grandfa
Good for you for taking a stand Audrey!!!!!!!!! That is unbelievably rude, and I'm glad you won't support them any longer. I know they have lost a very loyal customer, but you have to do what's right.
And don't worry about Sophia being in the 10th percentile. She's been through a lot, and she's chunking up just fine! I'm glad to see she's getting her appetite back. Looks like she's eating something orange like squash or peaches. YUM-O!
P.S. Love the photo of the girls playing Sophia's piano!! That made me laugh cause, typical kids, you have a beautiful piano for them to play, but they'd rather play with the cool pink one.
Happy New Year!!! I think your resolutions are perfectly attainable. Maybe if you kiss Papa more, you'll have another baby this year :) YIPPEE!
How sad that someone could associate a dirty toilet seat to an entire race.
I'd definitely boycott the store, as well as spread the word to my friends how racist the wife is.
I'm sure once you don't show up for 2 weeks, they will get a very loud and clear message that racism won't be tolerated by you. Good for you for choosing not to support their business.
Ok, hurry up and pressure Chung Chuck to come out east..I am dying to squeeze Sophia's cheeks!!
Happy new years to you and your beautiful family Audrey!
What a lousy encounter in a bathroom! I think its awesome you went out and faced them, make them think about things before they open their stupid mouths next time.
Funny, I guess it depends where you live for these racist comments. Here in Montreal for example, it would be a comment like, "oh probably black/hispanic/ANGLO person". lol. People are stupid around the world and it's only sad that it's a mom passing on her prejudices to her daughter.
On another note, I feel kindred spirits over there as I've been sick with this cold for over 3 weeks too! It keeps coming back with gusto everytime I start to feel sooo much better. It hit me again with force yesterday and I couldn't enjoy the New Year family dinner. I'm just worried that I only have 3 days left til I go back to my job. Maybe THAT'S what's making me sick. lol.
Happy New Year to all. I like your resolutions. I only have 1 goal: TO STAY HOME and not stress whenever a) Keira gets sick and we have to stress who stays home from work b) There's no school or garderie services...same deal.
Hang in there!
I would also spread the word on the racist comment. P-Town is so small that the message will definitely make it's way back to the Butcher.
I haven't really made any New Year's Resolutions. How about "Not crash the car again"?!?
P.S. I honestly think the girl's are such talented artists. For real.
Audrey...I read your blog sometimes when I link to Joycie's. I just want to note that what made me the most proud of you was the fact that you were going to say something to them in the first place, especially not knowing who had said it. So many times, people just say nothing, keep to themselves and let remarks like that continue to spread...now, if it was me...not only would I boycott the butcher's but, I would right a letter to the editor of your local paper, simply relaying the story just as you did here, and sign your name to it. Don't mention their name, but, I'll guaruntee you this, people will figure out who it is and word will spread....you may get a whole lotta free meat out of it (just kidding), but more importantly, in some way, either private or publicly, you may get the well deserved apology that you deserve. Think about it, hate begets hate, and your children will be growing up in that town. It astonishes me that in todays world...comments are still made like that. Hopefully, if they know how affected you were by it, they may grab a conscience and choose to admit they were asses and start changing their ways...Jessica.
Post a Comment