Preadmission today was easier than I thought it would be. It has everything to do with the fact that all the doctors, nurses and staff at the Children's hospital is so COMPASSIONATE, caring and professional. We felt like we were in such good hands and they actually cared about Sophia and us. First Sophia got some blood work done and I was crying in James' arm. But then I realized that I was crying MORE than Sophia was in the next room. I don't know how these nurses do it but she wasn't freaking out crying...just a complaining crying. Same story when she got her chest Xray. No huge freaking out tears, just complaining tears. I swear it is because all the technicians handle and speak to her so gently. Then we met with the anaesthatist...who was sooooooooo super nice and he took so much time to explain everything to us. The nurses took about an hour to explain the steps that were going to take place with Sophia, showed us a book of photos of a little baby boy who had the same surgery Sophia is going to have, showed us his scar, him in the ICU, everything. I was again really upset from the 1st photo of him in the ICU on Day 1. I think they show you these things so you don't freak out when it is your own child. But crazy thing is that we saw pics of the boy everyday for 5 days and guess what....he was out of the hospital entirely on day 5 and was at Granville Island with his parents who were enjoying a coffee. Isn't that crazy? But we were reminded again that every child is different and Sophia could spend up to 3 weeks in hospital. We were also given a tour of the ICU which surprisingly calmed me because although there were many children in there hooked up to tubes they were not in pain and seemed 'comfortable'. We also met with the surgeon who reminded me of a younger Stephen Harper. Very young, very conservative, very informative. So all in all it was a good day.
After all the tests were done we went to a delicious Malaysian restaurant called the banana leaf. I couldn't believe that I actually had my appetite. As James said, we have to eat, and he would rather it be delicious food than bad hospital food. He is right.
We are all trying to get to bed early tonight because Sophia has to be at the hospital tomorrow morning at 6:30. Her surgery is set for 7:45am. What are James and I going to do while she is in surgery. I wish someone could drug me and wake me up when everything is over. I think tomorrow will be a really tough day.
4 comments:
Audrey and James
I love you.
She will be all right.
I will be with you all days.
take care yourself.
pray per spohie.
David
I'm so happy that Step Two went so smoothly. I'm so happy that you love the staff at the hospital...I know how awful it is when you DON'T like them.
As for wanting to be drugged...you ARE in Vancouver after all...there is an abundance on Hastings!!!
Now Joyce how would YOU know about Hastings?! Google?!
Audrey, James & Spunky Sophia - you are all strong and will endure this period quickly (well at least J. & S. will, Audrey may take a while before your system finally de-stresses!)!
We are all thinking of you!!
xoxoxoxo
Thank you Audrey for updating all of us. It really means a lot since we're all thinking of you guys and sending only postive thoughts and good wishes.
I am so happy that the hospital staff are so wonderful to you and explaining everything in detail. It helps so much when they are so compassionate and sincere.
I was just saying to Jeff last night that I hoped you and James were eating and had some semblance of an appetite. That is excellent that you two are pigging out! It only helps Sophia.
Poor little Alex so upset to see you leave. I know it's hard on those two girls as well, and confusing too. Remember if you need help, I am a phone call away!
Take care you two and let us know how your little angel is doing.
xxoo,
Shannon
Post a Comment