Monday, June 23, 2008

Life with Baby Sophia

2 Weeks have come and gone so quickly. My parents left this morning to go back to Montreal after a whirlwind 2 weeks of looking after the twins, us and the house while we were giving birth to Sophia and getting used to being a family of five.
Thanks mom and dad for all your hard work.

The whole family has been spending day and night cuddling sweet Sophia. Which is just what Sophia loves. Snuggles and cuddling 24/7. She sleeps most of the day and is starting to be a little more awake with each passing day. I love when she opens both eyes and stares into my eyes. Heavenly. :) What I wonder is how a baby who sleeps most of the time is making her own mama sleep deprived. Oh ya, it's because she can't sleep unless she is ON her mama's chest! My twin girls were never like this. I would feed them, make sure they had clean diapers and would swaddle them in a blanket and put them down in a bassinet together and they would fall asleep on their own and wake up about 2 hours later for their next feed. So I was totally prepared to wake every few hours to feed but not ready to have a baby ON me all night long. I'm scared that I will be so sleepy that I'll suffocate the baby so I've worked things out that I sleep on the couch in the living room. Which I hope will not be a long term solution.


I love holding/nursing Sophia all day long but it also comes with huge feelings of guilt. I feel like I've been neglecting Alex and Rachel. The baby and the kids have such different wants/needs right now and I feel torn. To be on the couch with the baby OR to be outside riding bikes and stuff with the girls. How can I clone myself so I can be BOTH? I know it's only been 2 weeks and we will work out a routine/schedule that will work for everyone.
So we are sleep deprived but extremely happy.
We love baby Sophia and can't stop kissing those chubby cheeks.

8 comments:

Shannon said...

She is just too gorgeous for words!! And BIG! Holy "instant 3 month old baby!" I love it! I would be arrested if I was there around those cheeks! All my pinching would bruise the poor kid!! They would call social services on me. ha ha.

Who's that delicious looking cake for? Where's the aprons? Have we made cookies yet?

I was so excited over the dinner table photo with HP sauce!!! That is my addiction girl! I knew you were freakin' cool!!

Kaili said...

haha! I was wondering who was having HP sause on their cake? Love how your Mama got all gussied up for your Dad's birthday. With the earrings and necklace. Nice!
Sophia is SO sweet, we are in love with here!
I love the picture of Tara Jung and Sophia sleeping on the couch! See you Wed.! Call me after your Papa photo shoot tomorrow! Hahahaa!

Joyce said...

OH MY GOD I want to kiss those cheeks so bad! Love that last picture. She looks soooo smoochable and cuddleable!

p.s. I have to laugh at the whole "having to hold her so she sleeps" situation! I remember you all bugging me about Hudson being like that! Attachment parenting is hard work, isn't it???

Susan said...

Okay... Sophia listen up! You got to let your Mama sleep in peace; if you keep insisting on sleeping ON her, she'll spend the whole time paranoid that she's going to roll over and drop you!
It's a good thing you're super cute or you wouldn't get away with it!
xoxoxoxo

Sonia said...

Aw, she's SO cute in that last picture!

Audrey, have you tried to put her in the baby bjorn carrier (inward facing with a booby popped out so she can nurse and a receiving blanket put over her for privacy)? That way you can still go outside to watch the twins while Sophia is napping and munching.

I worried a lot about rolling over and such too, but what we did when the kids had slept in our bed as infants was to put them in the middle and Daniel had his own blanket, the baby had it's own blanket and I slept with a separate one or without one while nursing! LOL The sacrifice we make as moms, eh? Hey, at least I got sleep that way!

Unknown said...

Hey Audrey, first, that little baby is sooooo adorable. Wow, cheeks galore. She is gorgeous!

Hey, Keira spent the first 3 weeks sleeping on me as well. I also had to create a make-shift "bed" on the sofa. Funny. My sister in law came to my rescue. Made me buy a cosleeper tiny bed thingy and told me there was no problem letting her sleep on her own and on her tummy! And you know what? It's what she preferred (even though I freaked out each time). I also heated up one of those bean bags (that you use when you have a sore shoulder), plopped that in the bed and took it off when I put Keira to sleep. It heated up the mattress imitating..moi! And it worked. Try it out! Imagine when she's 15lbs and sleeping on you? I could barely breathe and Keira was only at 8lbs! lol.

Hang in there!! You've prob already worked something out to be with the girls and the baby.

You're a tough cookie and a great mom!

Jen said...

That last picture is adorable! I could stare at it all day long. :)

Sue said...

So sweet! Newbies just bring out the "gush" in all of us!! I just love those cheeks!