Friday, July 18, 2008

Jaundice is no fun

So much has happened in the last few weeks I don't even know where to begin our story. I guess I will save the long winded version for a day that I'm typing with 2 hands and not have a snuggly baby dangling in my arm. Our issue at the moment is breastfeeding jaundice. At almost 6 weeks of age...ugh! Sophia has turned from yellow to a bright orange. So we are trying to expose her to a lot of indirect sunlight. As well, we are giving her only formula for the whole weekend, on doctor's recommendation. Don't judge me on this....I'm on the edge sanitywise. This part is killing me but I am doing this so that her jaundice goes away for good and we can try and finally just nurse Sophia and R*E*L*A*X. With breastfeeding jaundice, there is some chemical in my milk that makes her unable to pass the bile. The idea behind formula is that it will clear her system of this bile by producing larger poops. Anyhow, I'm hoping for this to quickly pass and look forward to putting the sterilizer, the breast pump and the bottle gear away in the cupboard next week. Cause bottle feeding is much more work than breastfeeding. Wish us luck!

5 comments:

Joyce said...

That is one of my FAVORITE pictures of Sophia! She looks so sweet, so cute, so chubby, sooooo kissable!

Good luck with the formula. She's going to be one unhappy baby, eh?

AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY AUDREY!!! Hope you devour some yummy cake and have some FUN!!!

Kaili said...

Joyce, she IS SO sweet, SO cute, SO chubby and SO kissable!!! We love here, you'll love her!!!

Happy Birthday Audrey!!!!
Your guys' month has been from hell. I feel so bad for you guys. Fingers crossed this new plan works and you can kick all those silly bottles to the curb!
I don't judge you, you are an amazing Mama, even if everyone thinks you are going crazy! Haha!
We love you!

Sonia said...

Happy Birthday Audrey! I hope you had a relaxing day yesterday.

You'll get through this. You're a great mom and you're doing what you have to for her to get healthy again.

Shannon said...

You are doing a GREAT job Audrey! Noone is judging you, so don't even think that. Just take your time with Sophia and she will get better. She is so beautiful and cute and looks so relaxed sleeping in the sun! ha ha

Take care little Mama and I'm happy to see you out and about drinking black cherry slurpees!

Unknown said...

Hey Audrey! Happy Birthday! Your little ladies look happy, content and healthy.. what more could you wish for?

Personally, I don't care if women breastfeed or not. As long as the baby grows! lol. I went the bottle route and have never felt guilty about it. But you're right, it does involve more work (i.e., warming up the formula, cleaning the bottles etc). But once you get going, easy-peasy.

You'll see the jaundice disappear quickly! Keira had that as well and in a week, it was gone. I thought she was born with a tan. hehehehe.

The baby is sooooo sweet. Enjoy your summer, you look terrific.