Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Family Dentistry

This gives a whole new dimension to Family Dentistry. Working on your own kids' cavities. So remember when Alex had her cavities and needed to be put out by the expensive Specialist to fix her teeth and we swore off everything sugary? Well, after time, we go back to our old habits I guess and found ourselves in the same situation once again. Sucky. But this time around the girls are mature enough to cooperative with us. Yeah. So after explaining to them for a couple of weeks of what Papa needed to do to fix their teeth, we were ready. So during the holidays while Papa's clinic was closed we headed there as a family and got all the work done without one tear being shed. Phew. (Just a side note: Alex fell asleep while getting her work done. Can you believe it? That's how relaxed she was. Papa noticed that she wasn't keeping her mouth wide open and kept repeating his request to open wide when we both noticed that she had gone to slumberland) Papa sealed each molar (top and bottom) so hopefully we won't be repeating this again. Oh ya and we are back to giving the girls only water instead of juice. So to all the mamas out there where your kids have never had a single cavity, I salute you. Really, that is amazing. How do you do it? Swear off juice and anything sugary? Brush more than twice a day? What are your secrets?

5 comments:

Joyce said...

pretty cool! lucky girls to have their papa work on their teeth. they won't ever have a dentist phobia, eh?

isn't it weird that we (you, me, and Sue) never had many cavities and we ALWAYS drank juice?!?

Anonymous said...

Waaaaaa Alex ; you are so gentle ,sweet, holding your sister,s hand.
Rachel you are the most brave girl,I ever met, halmoni is very proud of you girls . love you .

Shannon said...

You girls are so brave!! Jeff had to have "Papa Pills" when he saw Dr. Evil. Glad the Good Doctor came by to mend you up.

Anonymous said...

Wow, the girls are SO brave! Ava sat on top of Daniel in the dental chair her first cleaning.

I can't believe Alex fell asleep! Ha ha too cute!

I give the kids juice and limited candy, and both have great teeth. I chalk it up to good oral hygiene. Mind you, from my dad's side, our teeth suck (I have oodles of cavities). While Daniel got his very first cavity a few month ago!

Just make sure to get right behind that last molar when brushing..it's where people tend to neglect. It also helped that I introduced wiping their gums down after each meal with a soft cloth (as soon as I started them on solids) with Weleda tooth paste. So they were very use to me going into their mouths. Then, from the cloth, I went to a normal toothbrush, then a colgate spinbrush at about 1-1 1/2 years of age and then to the Oral-B electronic one.

I dunno, maybe we're just really lucky?!?

:o)

kyla said...

Matias is going to get some cavitys fixed for the first time in a couple of weeks, he isnt getting put under, just really doped up. We brush and floss his teeth twice a day too and limit the sugar/juice intake, when we asked the specalist for advise on taking better care of his teeth, he had none.