Friday, August 07, 2009

We went on a Family Adventure today.  I felt totally out of my comfort zone but am happy that we went on our outing.  We went whale watching!  And actually got to see a mama humpback whale with her calf.  So special. 
The girls right before our trip out to sea.  Very excited.
Papa was able to capture some pictures of all the sea animals we saw.  
Mama Whale.  The whales were beautiful.  They would surface and swim for a while and then go down for about 5 minutes at a time to feed.  Then they would pop up somewhere in the horizon.  Spectacular really to witness it floating on a small boat in the ocean.

Sleepy Sea Lions.  They were huge.
Cute Seals.  Something about the seal's face reminds me of Tobi.
Bald Eagle.  There are a pair of adult eagles with their 2 young ones that live on this small island.  We waited by it's nest for a couple of minutes and then saw this one fly back and land on the tree.
We weren't able to see the Otters or the Black Bears today.  I had really wanted to see the Black bears feeding on the shores but I guess that will have to wait until another day.  The girls did really well considering the trip was 2 1/2 hours long.  Sophia fell asleep 1/2 way through and the twins started to get sea sick in the last hour.  Papa put down his camera and had to hold them on the back of the deck to get fresh air and in case they had to puke.  An Italian lady was already on the back of the boat being sick so I was pretty worried the girls were going to lose it.  But they kept chewing their gum and Papa kept pointing out the sea lions and such to keep their minds off the motion sickness.  We were happy to be back on land and ended our great morning with the yummiest Fish and Chips for lunch.

Then we got back to our hotel and the girls drew pics of the adventure.  Alex's picture is the one on top and Rachel below.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a beautiful adventures you guys have;

and girls you did draw the really good pictures.
thank you james for the nice photos.
halmonei

Susan said...

So how come you didn`t blog about SPUNKY?! Was she behaving on the boat until she konked out?
I really love the pictures; hey Alex... whose the sad person in your picture? Your Mama?!

Shannon said...

What a fun holiday! Looks kind of chilly though...is the west coast finally getting out of the heat wave?

Joyce said...

I would love to see some whales that close! So cool. I love their pictures too. In particular...the way Rachel wrote her name all "fancy" made me laugh.

p.s. LOVE Alex's hat.

Anonymous said...

where is new sophies picture.

Grandfa

kyla said...

Good for you for getting out of your comfort zone, sounds like an amazing trip! I don think Id be brave enough to face the sea for that long!