Tuesday, March 24, 2009

1st Attempt - Unsuccessful

** Just to let you know that Sophia slept in the crib all night for the first time since she was born last night (Wednesday)!  She only woke up twice and then after a short visit from mama went back to sleep...in the CRIB!  We are making some progress! **

I tried to put Sophia to sleep in her own crib tonight for the first time.  It didn't go so well.  She sleeps in her crib for her daytime naps.  But has never slept there during the night.  She has always slept right beside me.  So I knew that the transition to the crib wasn't going to be easy.  It was horrible.  I have been placing a small stuffed animal between Sophia and I while she nurses so that she gets attached to this 'lovey'.  Yes, I'm trying to create a special toy for her.  Yes, that is weird but I hear it works for other moms.  So that she gets attached to this lovey and eventually when she sleeps in her crib she can cuddle this lovey.  I also ran to Walmart tonight to buy the Fischer Price Aquarium.  She loved it at first.  The music, the lights, the bubbles, the fish....until she realized that I was leaving her in the crib with this lovey and the fishey thing and no mama.  So after she got really upset to the point that she started coughing and coughing I caved and picked her up and went and nursed her to sleep in my bed.  I will try and continue to create a bedtime routine and try to ease her into the crib at night.  Or else, I guess the Fishy aquarium will end up at my next garage sale.

4 comments:

Joyce said...

ha ha ha!!! i'm sorry, but i can't even believe that you attempted to transition her into a crib!!! tell james to get used to the family bed!

Unknown said...

Wow, I can't believe how many ppl have this problem. Lucky for us, Keira can't stand sleeping with us for long. Especially me! lol. I did however, when she was about 3 or 4 months start the Baby Whisperer technique. And it's worked for me. Hard effort but worth it. Try it.

Sonia said...

Congrats!! I'm glad Sophia slept by herself on Wednesday!! Awesome!!

Shannon said...

Good job Mama! Even a t-shirt with your scent on it would help.

Malcolm is also getting into a routine. Grandma is here and cracking the whip. No colic, he doesn't need his special light/music thing with white noise and he's sleeping 4 hours. Whoo hoo! You and I should go out and celebrate!!