Saturday, October 06, 2007

Gewürztraminer






There is this guy named Stuart who worked really hard to finish our basement for us and has since become a friend of ours. So when he called last night to ask for help picking Gerwurtraminer grapes in his vineyard this morning I couldn't say no. I had no idea what was in store for us. All I knew was that we were to dress warm and show up at 8am. Silly me thought that I could bring along my camera and take pretty pictures. But no there was no time to take photos....it was real hard work. So all these pictures were taken by Alex and Rachel.

It was a beautiful crisp fall day. Perfect weather to put us to work. Stuart's wife gave me a pair of gloves and shears and it was off to picking grapes. They have 5 acres and after about an hour of pruning I was starting to get overwhelmed wondering when we were going to actually finish. But luckily they only have 1 acre planted in Gerwurt so the other 4 acres will have to wait for another visit. It was great to be out in the fresh air working while the girls ran around for the whole entire morning with some other kids that were there. It was fun except for all the earwigs that hung around the grapes. I tried hard not to be such a girly girl around all these 'farm' types. But it was hard to hide my reactions especially this one time when I picked off a huge bunch of grapes and had about 3 earwigs drop onto my glove. It took me a few seconds to recuperate from that incident but I carried on and ended up having a great morning.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am very proud of you for dealing with earwigs and especially of your girls taking such great photos!
The scenery looks almost surreal!
Do they make their own wine?

Audrey said...

Hi Susan. No, they grow the grapes and sell them to an existing winery. Remember when you were thinking of moving here and buying a vineyard?

Joyce said...

those pictures are so good! very artsy. tell the girls that they are naturals!

did you guys all take a nap when you got home?

hard work kinda sucks and is rewarding at the same time, no?

Kaili said...

I'm so proud of you for going out in nature and getting your hands dirty for a friend. Also I LOVE that A & R took all the pictures! That is hilarious!
THAT is all the grapes you picked? NOT very many! Hahaha!
I wish I could have joined you (not that I was invited or anything) but I was just so very busy learning, so I could make money, NOT volunteering! Geesh where are you on our plan? Haha! :)

Shannon said...

Looks like such a fun time! Good for you for continuing to pick even after the earwigs got into your gloves. Remember when you saw the bugs cherry picking? ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh what fun!! Bugs though are not fun...I would have run screaming if I was in your place, even with gloves on. So, good for you!! Job well done! The girls are as cute as ever. Love the photos they took.

Sonia

Unknown said...

hahaha! i love that part about the earwigs. I think I would have ran away screaming my head off! lol.

Still, looks like you had fun with the girls. The pics are so clear. the girls are so cute!

Unknown said...

btw, yes we have a guard rail for keira's bed. and good thing too. when it's up, she stays in bed. for the most part. lol. when it's on the down position, she's pretty much in the "escape" mode. : )

Kaili said...

UPDATE ALREADY LADY!!!