Saturday, June 23, 2007

Cherries, Sticky Buns & Delicious Strawberries

It's cherry season once again and the cherries are absolutely delicious. They are so plump and juicy and you can't just stop eating only a handful. And they were locally grown but very expensive. I paid $3.99 a pound so my bunch of cherries cost over 12 bucks! I think it's because it's the start of the season and the price will come down as more cherries are available. I don't mind paying for them though considering what happened to us when we got our cherries for 'free' a couple of years ago. My mom was visiting us and she saw that a neighbor of ours had posted a sign 'free cherries' by their cherry tree. So she went with a big container and picked lots and lots of cherries. After we had been eating them up for a couple of days I noticed after I bit into one of mine that there was a worm in it. We checked a couple more and yup, they had worms. Needless to say I was totally freaked out and have only recently recovered enough to start eating cherries again.
Sticky Buns....yum. Or shall I say stinky bums as we like to jokingly call them. This is one of the main reasons that we wake up on Saturday morning and hurry down to the Farmer's market. It's made by this organic bakery and it is so so good. Not too sweet either. Alex just adores them and almost ate one whole one by herself this morning. We also love their mini pizzas (especially Rachel) but we don't have a picture to show you because we ended up eating it all up. In addition to this we buy organic coffee there, cookies, etc... so no wonder the girls get excited to go there. We also found these absolutely delicious organic strawberries there today. We bought so many flats of them. Sweet & juicy. Whenever it's strawberry season and we are eating these perfect strawberries we wonder how we can ever buy the store bought huge tasteless ones. They just aren't the same!So a very successful trip to the market this morning. Wonder what treasures we will find next week!

6 comments:

Joyce said...

They look mesmorized in the first picture...what are they watching? Love the sticky lips they have going on. So cute. So girly. I liked the Farmer's Market too!

Kaili said...

Oh man, we didn't go, but from seeing your pic. I wish we had. I think we are going to go to the tues. night one. I've never been and want to check it out.

Anonymous said...

YUMMY!!! It all looks SO good!! The girls look like they're enjoying devouring it too.

Yeah, we went strawberry picking on Fri and the kids and they are SO tasteless. But, the kids had fun, so that is all that matters, right!

Can't wait for you ladies to come and visit us. Leave the hubby at home tho. LOL

Sonia

Unknown said...

Mmm, home-grown stuff is so much better than whatever you get in the supermarket from wherever it's from! In addition to cherries n strawberry season, it's also sweet corn season!

Those sticky buns look amazing! Send some over...I'll send the corn. lol.

Shannon said...

YUM! Strawberries, cherries and sticky buns!!!?? Maybe Jeff and I will come visit and chow down. How does Wednesday sound?

Anonymous said...

We definately have to find Alex "red hair" - does Rachel ever take off her "wig"?

Are B.C. strawberries as good as Q.C.?

XOXOXOXO