Thursday, February 15, 2007


Cold/Flu Season

We have been all affected by the cold or the flu for about 3 weeks now. Just when I think that we have all gotten sick and recuperated we get sick again. It's been an amazing winter for sickness in our house this year. So once again this afternoon, Alex got a high fever and was totally lethargic on the couch. Rachel is acting totally fine but something in her eyes tells me that she will probably catch whatever Alex has next. So they didn't want to eat very much. You know that the kid is sick when she takes a few licks of a popsicle and then hands it back to you and lies down on the couch. The scary thing is that when I was at their school yesterday picking them up, the other parents were also talking about how sick their kids/families have been too this season. But they seem to all be on antibiotics. One parent told me his kid is on his 3rd round of antibiotics. Crazy. I hate taking any type of medication. I resist taking Advil usually. But since this past Sunday, I've been taking one Advil EVERY 6 hours. And I can count on my one hand how many times I've taken antibiotics in my lifetime. So when does one know that it is time to take antibiotics? That's how desperate I am to get everyone back to health and having healthy appetites.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor you guys! I have never ever been on antibiotics (wait...maybe I took some when I got my wisdom teeth out). You need some of Halmonie's homemade soup!!!

Joyce

Anonymous said...

If fever continouesly high then bring children to the doctor then he or she will decide wether they need antibiotic , but first thing give them the salt gargles as frequently as with drinks.
I wish I am there for my children .
halmonie

Anonymous said...

Hey Aud,
Antibiotics can help, but the doctor has to determine that. Maybe take the girls (and you!) to the MediCentre to see whether it's a good idea or not. If that doesn't help, go to the Vitamin store and buy some immune boosting products. Hopefully they have something that's kid-friendly. If you have a sore throat/cough, I tend to sip on hot lemon juice and water with some cayenne thrown in. You can sweeten with maple syrup. Sometimes that does the trick, and lemon juice is a natural cleanser. Otherwise, get lots of rest, and yes, you need Halmonie's soup!

Take care little buddy,
Shannon