Saturday, May 31, 2014

Butterfly Update

 Butterflies emerged about 8 to 11 days after they became crysallis.  It was so cool to watch them.  The one that Sophia is holding below had such a hard time breaking out of his crysallis.  His wings were all crumpled up and dried that way.  But he was still alive and walked around instead of flying.
This is after only a few days out of the crysallis.  Girls would take them out of the flight cage and hold and admire them.


 The red stuff is meconium.  Red fluid that they needed to complete metamorphosis but that is released if they didn't need all of it.  This stuff ended up landing on Alex's hand.  She was not even freaked out about it.

 These pictures outside were taken this morning.  We wanted to release them outside on this beautiful sunny morning.  All the butterflies were so happy to fly out in the sunshine and fly away.





 We kept one at home.  His wings got torn last night.  We had a lot of kids over for dinner and somehow with all the hands/fingers touching them one got injured. So the girls wanted to keep him.  He is watching TV with the girls as I type.  :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woaaaaa!! What a experience you guys have.
You kids are really beautiful ,so so so proud of you!.

Halmonei.

Joyce said...

I agree with mom...that is an awesome experience. I will have to look into doing that with my boys. I'm just not sure about the whole "worm" stage.