
My dad used to love having cheese with red wine. When he was here last December we went grocery shopping together and we picked out this havarti cheese together. Then we brought it up to the ski condo the last time he was here. For some reason we never opened up the cheese. I don't want to open up this cheese now. It is now past the expiry date but I don't want to throw it away. It is a tangible reminder to me that my dad was here with me. We are at the condo this weekend and when I opened the fridge and saw the cheese, I went through so many different emotions. It brought me happiness because it reminded me of my dad, but it also caused a big lump in my throat. I miss him on this special weekend.
5 comments:
Oh Audrey! What a sweet reminder of your Daddy. I agree, hard to part with it, and really, you don't have to. I was thinking of you this weekend and wondered how you were coping. It's a struggle and will be for some time, but I am glad you have happy memories.
P.S. Your Dad had great taste ion cheese - that's our favorite as well!
that's a toughie...
but unlike what Shannon says, you WILL eventually have to throw away smelly cheese!
i miss him too.
Of all things.. cheese! Gotta admit, it's funny too. Just saw your mom with Sue yesterday visiting my mom. She's so sweet!
Don't worry about the 'things' reminding you of your dad. Just keep the memories..
Joyce, you are hilarious! Yes, smelly cheese is a conundrum, but it's well sealed, no?
Audrey, that's so tough. I'm a pack rat, and I tend to save things that are important to (only) me. But, like Chantale says, there are so many beautiful memories you have of your dad and other non-perishable objects that remind you of him. I'm sure once the cheese stops looking like cheese, you'll be ready to let it go.
Your dad will always be with you..in your head and your heart. Nothing tangible can ever replace that love and eventually throwing out the piece of cheese won't diminish it.
*hugs*
Post a Comment